Saturday, July 21, 2012

What's up with Pixar?

Sunday Edition
Please, Pixar - You
Gotta Turn This Around

The news is official...a 
crapload of sequels are in the pipe

Let's get something out of the way. I'm not here to bash Pixar, or any of the decisions they make.

Considering their huge string of extremely original hit films, there was bound to be a clunker like Cars 2 thrown into the mix. 


The recent Brave, although I liked the premise very much, was kinda unfunny and disappointing - but only when held up to gems like Ratatouille.

 

Maybe that's Pixar's biggest problem. They've set the bar so damn high.

And let's clear the air about one other item of business. I wasn't really thrilled with Finding Nemo. But that's just how I felt, because in reality it's a fine movie. 

So, guess what? We're getting a Finding Nemo 2.

We are also getting an origins story with Sully and Mike from Monsters, Inc....which I gotta admit, sounds like a lot of fun.


There is a vague rumor about a Toy Story 4 floating around, but I think that's all it is...a rumor. 

Yes, Toy Story is literally a much-loved two billion dollar industry, but Pixar closed the chapter with Toy Story 3.


Pixar, now owned by Disney, (but with artistic freedom) can run their business any way they like. Because it's just that....their business. 

That being said, the business model they seemed to have turned to is a little worrying.


Oh, make no mistake, they'll make a ton of money churning out sequels. And they kids will still love them to death. 

But will us parents?

You see, besides the uber-high quality of Pixar's vision that they used to craft into each feature, they were true family films. 

By that, I mean you and your 4-year-old daughter truly enjoyed yourselves in the theater. You laughed just as much as she did. You left the theater feeling just as good as she did.

And, by God, you weren't bored out of your skull.

That's Pixar. That's what they used to do.

Unfortunately, they didn't do that with Cars 2 or Brave. And I wonder, in light of recent news concerning sequels, if they will ever do it again.

I am actually a little surprised. Toy Story should have satisfied their need for sequels. Make no mistake, they hit all three of them out of the park - which is exceedingly rare.


I have often wondered what the perfect film is. Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven is very high on my list, but so are Wall-E and Ratatouille.


So....if Pixar is capable of that level of film-making, then why are they chasing down sequels?

Has the desire for the almighty dollar finally reared it's ugly head?

Honestly, I would love a Hollywood news alert like this: 

"Pixar has said no to planned sequels and has turned back to original storytelling...news at 11:00."

I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.


No comments: