Friday, May 18, 2012

For Once...An Honest 
Top 10 Movie List
My favorite films 
from 2000 until now

The thing that I've noticed in other top 10 movie lists is the sheer pretentiousness.


Some dude trying to show off his genius, as well as his/her ability to watch a bunch of boring movies that I've never heard of...


And I don't think I'm alone in this.



So I put together a list of my favorite movies of the past 12 years that all have one thing in common. I've seen each of the ten movies on this list multiple times, and I will watch them again. 

Why? Good question. 

Each of these movies entertained me, made me laugh, and continue to do so. No Oscars to be found, just pure fun. 


To me, a good film should take you away for a couple of hours, and these movies deliver. 


It doesn't matter how much money they made, or if people consider the film thought-provoking. 


Who cares? 


In the end, what really matters is if I felt the ticket price was worth it. Did I walk out of the theater with a spring in my step and a smile on my face?


In the case of these 10 movies....yes. Yes, I did.


Note: Avengers didn't make the list. Sorry. There was too much going on, and it was a little too much like Transformers 3 to be included here. I liked it, but Avengers fails the 'will I watch it more than once' test.



10. Superbad

This film is both hilarious and sweet. And one of the few times that I've truly enjoyed gross-out humor. Jonah Hill at his best.




9. Zombieland

Zombies, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg and Emma Stone. Really, what else do you need? 

Double tap, anyone?





8. The Bank Job

What draws me back to this movie is the setting...early 70's London. No big special effects, just strong acting and a great script. A good combo that works. And proof that Jason Statham is more than just a kick and blow stuff up guy.




7. Spy Game

Terrific acting, spell-binding story and understated special effects. Plus, Pitt and Redford playing off each other to perfection. Need I say more?




6. Iron Man

Simple premise with an engaging, flawed leading man plus great special effects. I wish more superhero movies could get that formula right.




5. Hellboy

A fantastic story, mainly because it's so different. I don't think of Hellboy as a superhero, just an ordinary demon trying to fit in. Ron Pearlman brings the character to life.




4. Transformers

Don't get me wrong, as a trilogy it sucks balls. But the first movie got it right. Boy and his car save the world. The script was far from perfect and the acting is cheesy, but hey, I still watch this film over and over. What are you gonna do? Plus, Megan Fox.




3. Ocean's Eleven

Strongly acted and very entertaining. Nearly a perfect storm (get it?) of elements coming together just to give me a movie I can watch again and again. As above, the trilogy doesn't really work for me.




2. Captain America: The First Avenger

Not perfect, but a very strong film. Great settings and fantastic action. I like Chris Evans, and I think he brings a lot to the role. 





1. 40-Year-Old Virgin

Laugh out loud funny, sweet, and very entertaining....proving once and for all that a great movie doesn't need huge special effects or a monster budget to be a winner. 


Sure, you can argue there are better films, but when I just want a little escapism and some laughs, this is where I come. Jonah Hill also got his start in this film.








Feel free to write in and tell me 
why I'm wrong, and share your 
favorite movies of 
the last decade...


No comments: