Saturday, May 5, 2012

1953 Jeep M38A1
Restoration World Review #1
Topless Fun
And when I say 
topless, that's because 
I can't afford the damn top

Okay, I promised to review some used cars.


And we'll get to the more practical vehicles later. I should point out that I have a deep interest in helping people find good, used cars that won't break the bank over a period of time. 


Usually something you could pick up for less than $2,500. 


And then drive that car for 3 or 4 years. Maybe so you can put money aside for a larger home, or possibly a new car that isn't in your budget right now.


Weekend shows....


Today, though, I want to talk about my Willys Jeep. This was a shoestring budget build. Nearly every part came from a field.


Did you say a field?






Umm, yeah. Everything: body, wheels, seat frames, windshield...was collected from junk fields across three states. 


The engine and frame came out of a barn in Alabama. The tires, rubber parts, exhaust, and seat canvas are reproductions. 


Neat stuff, too. Made to Smithsonian standards and not badly priced.


Weekend fun....


And it was all for nothing. 


Don't get me wrong, the jeep rides better on the road than a brand new one, and it's off-road capabilities are beyond incredible. 


You can get stuck to the axles, leave it in first gear and step out. The jeep will get itself out every time. Awesome.


None of that matters when your daughter hates it. No AC. Bumpy. Windy.


Sigh. 


Kids these days.


My next review will be of the Volvo I bought to make her happy. Yay.



No comments: